Thursday, October 13, 2011

J.M. Smucker Co. Does Not Suck

Finished!  <-- That’s what I am with my stupid marketing project. I knew about it from the start of class seven weeks ago but I had no idea what it was asking for or how to do it until last week, and even then I dragged my feet and made excuses and worked on any other project I had due until it became very apparent if I didn’t buckle down and just do the silly thing, I would lose all chances of ever getting an A in this class. And if you care enough about me to be reading this, you probably know how much getting an A traditionally means to me. (If not, I’ll give you a hint: my current GPA is 4.0.)

So… Smucker’s. We could choose any company, mind you. Any product (not a service) and preferably from a company large enough to have tons of information written about it online. I’d also put off this decision until the last minute, when the professor asked us questions in the online conference about our chosen company to gauge how far we’d gotten on our research. Me: “Oh, em… Heh." *Looking around… sees nothing. Thinks about what I had for lunch that day…* "PB&J? Oh, Jif with Omega-3! There we go. Jif. Jif works."

Only I looked up Jif online and found out it was part of a larger company that has many food stuffs under its collective umbrella, including Pillsbury and Folgers coffee. The J.M. Smucker Company to be precise. I don’t want to turn this into a commercial, but after spending five days straight now learning everything there is to know about Smucker’s, their advertising focus, and what all of their marketing promotion says as a whole, I am impressed with the family-oriented and ethical aspects of the company, as well as its wide array of healthy products. Or at least, I am attempting to convince my professor of these particular points, heh.

My favorite part of the project? A “what would you do as this company’s marketing manager?” question at the end that let me ramble happily on for my last two required pages describing commercial after commercial featuring active families picnicking, camping out, or playing board games. You know, while using J.M. Smucker Co.’s products somehow. Genius, I know.

Glad to be done though, and able to think about other things again. And able to write! I had to write this just to celebrate my new found writability. (Writeableness?) There will be probably more celebratory postings tomorrow. And the day after that. And the day after that… *giggles happily*

No comments:

Post a Comment