Friday, October 14, 2011

The Day the World Turned Upside Down

Background:
I've been working on ideas for a series of surreal-themed children's books. This is my first attempt, but it's still a work in progress. Feedback would be nice, actually. More rhyming? Less rhyming? This draft I was mostly focused on getting the rhythm and flow of words just right (still working on it).


The Day the World Turned Upside Down

The day the world turned upside down I was sleeping in my bed
I rolled over, the world rolled with me, and I woke up on the ceiling

I crawled out from under my mattress and took a look around
What I saw gave me start. My room was upside down!

All my furniture overturned, books scattered, alarm clock buried
My ceiling fan still spun its blades but it didn’t look too hearty

I had to jump to reach the switch, then climb over the door frame
The hallway to my parents’ room was littered with our portraits

“Mom! Dad!”I yelled, while banging on their door
I heard and groan and then a moan; I couldn’t take much more

Standing high on tiptoes, I fiddled with the knob
It gave at last and I shoved past the clutter with a sob

Mom and Dad were safe and sound, just tired from their night
“Why’d you wake us up?” Mom asked, still rubbing at her eyes

“Can you see what’s happened?” I gasped, but then I looked around
Everything was right-side-up. Had I dreamed the whole thing up?

Dad squinted long at me, then frowned and rolled back over
I braced, but the world remained right where it was just prior

“Go back to bed,” Mom scolded, then she too shut both her eyes
I backed away holding my breath, then tripped over a floor light

Copyright 2011 Laurie E. Still

3 comments: